Monday, January 30, 2012

Sanctification

Last time I was trying to contrast Sanctification and Justification.  However, justification took much longer than I anticipated and thought it would be a better exercise to split them up.  One reason I chose to write on this subject is that many Christ followers get so confused and frustrated with themselves and think they could not have possibly trusted in Christ properly because they are still making so many mistakes.  I want you to know that God sees you as justified, if you have placed your faith in Jesus.  However, we see how many mistakes we make on a daily basis, this has to do with our sanctification.  Sanctification is the process of becoming more like Christ.  So what can we do to get closer to that goal?
Read John 17:17, “Sanctify them by the truth, your word is truth.” 
How do we get sanctified?

Where do we find truth?

Yes, read the Bible.  Don’t just read it, study it, memorize it, meditate on it.
Read Psalms 119:9-11, “How can a young man keep his way pure?  By living according to your word.  I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.  I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.”
When I read my Bible I realize that Jesus placed a huge emphasis on prayer.  He left groups of people often to go and pray.  Paul also left for us in his writings many prayers, he often told the people he was writing to that he prayed for them often.  If Jesus and Paul found prayer to be essential, then maybe this would be an important part of my sanctification.  Read the following Scriptures and record how we are to pray.
Hebrews 4:16

Ephesians 1:16-18

Ephesians 3:16-19

Philippians 1:9-10

There are so many more, but this is just a start.  If you are more interested in prayer, follow the cross references in your Bible and begin studying and meditating on Scripture as you learn about prayer. 
So, as we end today I hope you found two important tools to help you live a sanctified life.  I find that if someone asks you almost any spiritual question the answer can almost always be, “Read your Bible and Pray.”  So, if you are avoiding getting involved in a Bible Study or Sunday School class because you think you don’t know enough, this excuse is no longer valid.  If someone at church asks a question, just parrot back, “Read your Bible and Pray,” you will usually be right, after all who can argue against it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment