Friday, December 9, 2011

What is Prophecy?

Of course most of you know that prophecy is parts of the Bible that predict the future.  There is a lot of the Bible that talks about the future.  Much of the Old Testament predicts the future Messiah and the future Kingdom.  Prophecy is directed at the nation of Israel, and if you are confused whether you are reading a prophecy in the Bible go back and look at the audience for whom it is written.  One piece of prophecy that is often misused is found in Jeremiah 31:31-34. 
Read these verses, who is this covenant with?

What will happen under this covenant?

Do you feel like this has already happened?

Read Ephesians 4:11, “It was He who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers.”
How does this list of spiritual gifts contradict the promise in Jeremiah 31?

What is the need for teachers if we will have everything written on our hearts?  I know I for one don’t have everything written on my heart.  Maybe I have missed something here, but to know anything of God I have to study, pray, and discuss.  I have not yet experienced this automatic influx of information.  The good thing is I shouldn’t have.  First, I am not part of the nation of Israel, in the Bible I am called a Gentile.  Gentiles are not left out, they are just left out of applying prophecy written to Israel directly to their lives. 
While I don’t know all the history behind the crusades, much of that bloodshed was caused by Bible-believing Gentiles taking prophecy about land, written to Israel (Jer. 30:3) and trying to directly apply it to their lives.  If we learn to use the Bible correctly and properly understand Prophecy maybe we won’t make such mistakes in the future.    
In the Bible there is a section written to Gentiles and it contains what is called the Mystery.  This is what I will talk about next time. 
Please be patient, I left you hanging today, but it will come together more clearly when I blog next time.  Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment