Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Paul's Gospel

I never want to assume that everyone reading this is clear on the gospel by which we are saved.  I have run into far too many Jesus lovers who still are unsure how to share their faith or answer the very basic question, “What do you believe.”  If you are one of these dear people then today is for you.  If you practice what I am about to teach, before long you will have all the confidence you desire to share with your neighbor, coworker or family member the wonderful truth that is our salvation. 
First begin by reading I Corinthians 15: 1-5, “Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand.  By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you.  Otherwise, you have believed in vain.  For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance:  that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve.”  (NIV)
Sum up Paul’s gospel.


This is a section of verses that I would highly recommend that you memorize, basically there are four major parts to Paul’s gospel, the death, burial, resurrection and witnesses.  But we need to know who this Christ was and for that I want to go to one other verse and then your gospel will be complete. 
Read 2 Corinthians 5:21, “God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.” 
Who is ‘Him?’

How is Christ described?

This is important, Christ’s death on the cross is significant because he was the perfect, sinless sacrifice.  When He hung on the cross it was so that He could shed His perfect blood on our behalf and that He could become “sin for us”.  If He had not been the sinless Son of God this transaction could never have taken place. 
The last step in this process is Faith.  You may be wondering what is faith, that sounds like a very churchy word and what do I place my faith in. 
First, faith is complete trust or belief.  I have heard parents say, “I have complete faith that Johnny is going to get into this college.”  However, in the mean time they have been going around collecting brochures for military programs and trade schools.  This is not faith.  Faith is placing all your trust and all your belief in one plan, having no contingency plan if it fails. 
As a Christ follower, ask yourself, “Am I relying completely on the work Christ did for me on the cross?”  Maybe you are relying on that, but just in case you are also being a good person, giving to church, open to other’s religious beliefs, and volunteering at your local charity.  Some of these things may be nice, but if you are hoping they may help you with your salvation you have not truly put your faith in Christ.  Faith is deciding that this is the only plan I have, I am confident it is the only plan for me.  Sometimes Christians are labeled as pig-headed, rigid or uncompromising.  However, once we have placed our faith in Christ’s work we have decided that this is the only way for me to get to heaven.  We have decided that this is the only way to be saved from our sins according to the Scriptures.  Trusting Christ’s death to forgive my sins must be correct and everyone else who is trying to get there another way is wrong.  They are not pig-headed, they are faithful, they have found truth and they have gotten rid of all the other options. 
Are you ready to place your faith in the plan of salvation laid out in the Bible?  Are you ready to lay aside all your contingency plans and put your faith in the only option that truly saves a soul?  Then right now just pray (talk to God) and tell Him what you are feeling and what you are ready to put your faith in.  And I will see you tomorrow so we can continue to grow and learn more about this faith according to the Scriptures.  Have a great day!

2 comments: