Monday, April 23, 2012

What to do with Peter, James and John?

So you are probably wondering what do I do with books that are not Paul’s writings.  I have addressed the Old Testament and the gospels, however, how should we handle the smaller New Testament epistles?  This is a great question.  One I hope I can answer in a consolidated manner. 
First, I hope you know now when you go to these other portions of Scripture to look at the audience.  James and 1 Peter are fairly clear in the first verses of the book that they are written to the dispersed nation of Israel.  This dispersion happened in Acts 8 when believing Jews were being threatened after the stoning of Stephen. 
So what about 2 Peter, and 1-3 John?  Well I believe an answer comes from Galatians 2:9, “And recognizing the grace that had been given to me, James and Peter and John, who were reputed to be pillars, gave to me (Paul) and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we might go to the Gentiles, and they to the Circumcised.”  So Paul and Barnabas were to go to the Gentiles and Peter, James and John were to go to the Circumcised or the Jewish people.  Now after they agreed to this it probably would not have been the right thing for Peter, James and John to start writing letters to the Gentiles. 
So it is clear that the audience for these letters is not Gentile believers.  Does this mean that we throw these things away, cut them out of our Bible?  Of course not, for one, we can always learn things from these letters.  Just make sure if you are applying something it is backed up in Paul’s writings. 
Look at 1 John 2:2, “and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.”  Compare this to Romans 3:25, “whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith.  This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed.”  So we can know that Jesus was the propitiation for our sins. 
Look at I Peter 2:9, “But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a Holy nation, a people for God’s own possession that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.”  Paul does not call us current followers of Christ priests.  He calls us God’s sons (Romans 8), but look at Isaiah 61:6, “but you will be called the priests of the Lord; You will be spoken of as ministers of our God…”  This was a promise to Israel, so why is it found in the New Testament?
I believe these epistles are written for people remaining after the rapture of the church (I Thess. 4:13-17).  Israel will have all the promises of God fulfilled after this time of the mystery is fulfilled.  They will need instruction and encouragement and that is what is so great about the Bible, it seamlessly rolls out God’s plan, His past, present and future plan. 
It would be crazy for me to get the map of some future construction project and start to begin to follow it even though it will not be complete for many years.  I am sure I would be off in a ditch somewhere and I definitely would not get where I was trying to go.  This is what it is like to take James, John and Peter and try to apply them to us now.  If we are not careful, we can end up frustrated, in a ditch and not getting to the Spiritual goals God has in mind for us.
I have seen many Christians become frustrated by this passage, James 5:14-16, “Is anyone among you sick?  Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him.  Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, so that you may be healed.  The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.” 
Many people have done this over someone they cared very much about and there was no healing, no nothing.  I tell you what, this verse and that result would be enough for me to walk away from the faith.  However, if we know that this book is not written to us, but will be very useful to Jewish believers during the tribulation, can you see how that fits?  Can you see how God will go back to operating with Israel through signs and miracles like He has done all along (I Cor. 1:22). 
I hope this has been an encouragement to you and cleared up some very difficult portions of Scripture.  If you have questions please ask.      

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Nat. I needed this and will refer back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Natalie! This was very well written. You communicated a lot in a concise manner. I just came across this blog from a link in an e-mail that Dennis Thekan had sent me almost 6 months ago!

    One additional thought... I definitely agree that the "general epistles" will be most applicable to those going through the tribulation, but I believe those letters were also written to "the Circumcision" group of that time... not just for a future audience. For instance, the James 5 passage was very relevant for the Christian Jews that were still enjoying the "sign gifts" ...including healing.

    I'll try to read more later when I have a few more minutes. I haven't forgotten your request to read through your Acts study either. I've looked at it briefly, but hope to go through more of it in the near future.

    God bless!

    Randy Brown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder, and thanks for reading, it means a lot.

      Delete