Monday, November 5, 2012

Reaching the Church with the Message of Grace

I was recently asked how can you share the message of Paul's gospel and rightly dividing Scripture with others who are Bible-studying Christians who don't know this truth.  I could go to a church who believes as I do, however, I choose to be amongst those who don't fully understand the truth of the mystery so that eventually I will have an opportunity to share it with them.  The following is part of my journey I am sharing so that I can encourage some of you who are in a similar position.

My story is a bit of a crooked path.  I heard the gospel from a young age (my parents were saved when I was five).  I gave my life to Christ when I was 13, to be my Lord and Savior.  I was raised going to a Grace Church, however, you would be surprised how poorely I understood this message.  Things like, "Who is written to, who is it written for," were thrown around without me understanding what that meant.   I remember this church as being dogmatic right fighters, exclusive and legalistic.  (As I understood more of the grace message this confused me even more.)  I remember that I didn't doubt my salvation, but I doubted how I saw it being lived out.  I moved around the country and went to more churches than I can even remember.  I was solid in my faith so this was a frustrating time as things just didn't sit right with me. 

I started studying the Bible more and more and got more and more conflicting information.  I knew God was a God who wanted to be known, however, why didn't more people know what the Bible was saying?  I knew the Bible held the answers, so I began to study inductively.  It was during a study on covenants that a lot of conflicting ideas began to surface.  I started to piece a lot of the puzzling Scriptures together and with the help of my parents, I began to finally understand the instruction of my youth and it's impact.  God convicted me that this revolutionary message about God's mysterious grace was meant to be shared.  So I "bloomed where I was planted" and remained in my study groups and teaching positions.  However, I knew that I didn't want to turn this awesome message of grace into legalism, right fighting or exclusivity.  I studied unity in the Bible and found that the attitude I was to have was to be one of humility and selflessness (Philippians 2:1-8).  So I remained and began slowly (as discussion allowed) to ask questions (mainly showing the discrepancy in Scripture).  I let these questions marinade, never forcing the issue.  I allowed myself to let a topic go unanswered or allowed people to leave without coming to my conclusions.  Slowly, a few faithful studiers of the word started to see and understand, but not fully.  These would come to me individually to ask questions.  Eventually I had the opportunity to do a few dispensational studies focusing on the Book of Acts with interested individuals after I built up a lot of trust.  These studies were well received to the point that they wanted the information I had so they could share it with others.  So, I wrote a book and a blog to give people a format to share the grace message. 

As far as your question about sharing this dispensation truth about the mystery of the age of grace with pastors, don't start there.  I have not yet had any success with pastors.  I try to respect their calling and not to use the church they lead as a format to teach ideas they would not fully be in agreement with.  If they have trusted me to teach something in the church, I follow the curriculum with humility and try to skip over things I am not fully in agreement.  Yes, there are times that a sermon is difficult, but I try to use those to challenge myself to defend my position and see if there is any application I can pull out.  There are other's in our church who understand and get frustrated, but I try to emphasize a spirit of unity and humility within the church. 

I hope this helps you!  I tried to be as concise as possible.  Thank you for your willing heart to take this message to a dry and thirsty land.  It is a high calling, but with the right attitude can be a very fruitful journey!  Please continue your journey, and let me know how it goes.
Natalie Smith   

No comments:

Post a Comment