Sunday, February 19, 2012

Seed part 3

Let’s look at another covenant from the Old Testament (do you feel yourself getting smarter?  You didn’t even know what a covenant was a few days ago!).  Look at 2 Samuel 7: 12,16, “When your days are complete and you lie down with your fathers, I will raise up your seed after you, who will come forth from you, and I will establish his kingdom…And your house and your kingdom shall endure before Me forever; your throne shall be established forever.”  Now, God was of course referring to Solomon, in the immediate prophecy.  However, God likes to provide a prophecy that has an immediate fulfillment and a future fulfillment. 
If this seed is referring just to Solomon then why would God repeat this promise to Solomon I Kings 9:4-7, “And as for you, if you will walk before Me as your father David walked, in integrity …then I will establish the throne of your kingdom over Israel forever, just as I promised to your father David…But if you or your sons shall indeed turn away from following Me…then I will cut off Israel from the land which I have given them, and the house which I have consecrated…”  If you check out your Bible here, God does not use the word seed with Solomon, God uses the more immediate term of sons. 
Solomon of course did not walk before God as David did I Kings 11: 11, “So the Lord said to Solomon, “Because you have done this, and you have not kept My covenant and My statutes, which I have commanded you, I will surely tear the kingdom from you , and will give it to your servant…”  Solomon did not keep the conditions of this covenant and because of that would not enjoy the promises of God.    
God promised David a seed, who would sit on the throne of his kingdom forever.  This seed would come from David’s house, but not Solomon’s.  If you are like me, it seems that God is setting himself up for a promise that is impossible to complete. 
So what do you know now about the seed?

We will finish studying the seed next time, thanks for sticking with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment